A vehicle which produces a lot of disturbing noise due to a faulty muffler can be an embarrassment to any owner. Be it a motor cycle or a car, no one would like the stares they would get because of the sound emitted.
It is not always necessary to replace a muffler if it does not work, as sometimes, it can be repaired. Muffler repair cost depends on the type of damage and in some situations; you would not even require any professional help to solve the problem.
You will easily get to know if your muffler is not performing by the sound it emits. A broken muffler can also be identified because of the sound of tin against the road. Before taking it to a mechanic for repair, you can actually look beneath your car and find out the problem for yourself.
How to check a muffler which is damaged
- Look under the car and ensure that the muffler is still attached to the exhaust pipes. If the straps are broken, you will need to replace these. These will cost you around $25.
- If there is a rumbling noise or low recurring sounds coming out of your vehicle when it is running, it means that the muffler is broken and requires replacement.
- A common problem is rusting. This can be identified if the car emits sudden noises.
Let us now discuss how to repair mufflers with different problems and the cost involved:
- Repairing a muffler from rust and holes – Since a major part of the muffler is placed outside the vehicle at the rear, it is open to all sorts of splashes from the road and this makes it rusty. You may also find some holes and breaks. This can be repaired with tape. The cost is considerably less than replacing the old one with a new muffler.
- How to deal with a clogged muffler – A muffler ensures proper functioning of an engine and a therefore, a clogged muffler needs to repaired immediately. You can even make some effortless changes so that the performance improves considerably. Even this is much less priced than changing the whole unit.
Most of these repairs can be done without an automobile mechanic’s help. However, it is always advisable to get it done by someone who is an expert. As mentioned earlier, a muffler repair price is much less than what it takes to replace the whole component. Check here about Muffler Replacement Cost.
There are many companies which offer a warranty period for auto parts. You can check with the manufacturer of these parts before approaching any garage.
Magnaflow offers all the auto parts at competitive prices which have made them renowned. They also deal with repairs of any parts and they claim that their experts understand automobiles like no other.
Their maintenance tips are very helpful to all vehicle owners and help in keeping the engine durable. Check their site for more information.